Friday, May 8, 2009

Prom

You think about prom since you were a little girl or boy.. mostly girls though. You see your cousins or older sister or brother going dressed up in a beautiful dress or spiffy tuxedo. Prom has always been a big deal. Who do you go with? What dress do you wear? What do you do with your hair? Its easy if you have a boyfriend or girlfriend because then you already know your date. However, have you ever watched Laguna Beach? If you have, you must have seen the prom one.
What would you do if you were asked to prom with your car decorated and roses all around it? Personally, I would freak out! The girls and boys on Laguna Beach make prom out to be such a big deal.. yes it is but its not marriage! One girl was asked to prom with her car decorated, roses all round and "will you go to prom with me?" on her garage door.. How were you asked to prom? I was asked at friendlys! It doesn't have to look like an engagement to be excited about going to prom. Just being asked on the phone or in person does not matter.
My point is, if you had your mind set on being asked in an extravagent way, well it doesn't really happen. It's all about TV and basically how much money you have.

6 comments:

  1. I agree! Prom is an important part of anyones life, but it's not HUGE. If you expect it to be perfect it never will be, I'm the type of person not to expect much, so whatever happens is usually a nice surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not go to prom, and honestly, I do not really care about it. I do like my friends at school, but the biggest part of my life is outside of school; in church. I have many friends and people I am much closer to. We do everything together and I would rather spend time with them than to watch my friends dance during the Prom... I do not wish to offend anyone and I am sorry if I did, but I dont think prom is a big deal at all...
    However I do gree with you when you said that people should not expect to be asked in an amazing way... TV life is just not real... Even the "reality shows" seem to be very fake and scripted...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree. Believe it or not i actually have seen that episode of Laguna Beach like a million years ago and thought their ways of asking people to prom were a bit rediculous then! and now after going to prom i still feel the same way. But yeah, they should seriously change the name from "reality shows" to something else, because their not the least bit real.

    :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly, I don't see all of the fuss about dressing up in (often times) archaic styles of clothing, paying an absurd amount of money to do so, and then going to a public event to display the clothing. Sure, some people look great all dressed up, but why go spend 300+ dollars on a dress, tuxedo or other form of clothing for just a single event. Buy that extravagant apparel for one thing? Why not wear it all the time? Why bother how you ask someone to or are asked to such an event, it shouldn't matter. Either you go or you don't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute blog (and how appropriate for when it was written!) You did a good job of conveying your feelings of looking twords prom, but the part I liked the most was how in the end you talk about the extravigance of the way you're asked to prom dosn't matter, its THAT you're asked. (perhaphs you were trying to go for a 'its not the method of asking that matters, but the feelings behind it'?).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, umm... your really aggressively attacking the over-glamorized social gathering we call Prom. But at the same time, you bring it down to earth with the 'how you are asked' bit. Loved the Lacuna references, and how you also brought in the media to enhance your argument.

    ReplyDelete